You’d be hard-pressed to find anywhere else in the world as closely associated with adventure tourism as Queenstown, New Zealand. Located on the wild South Island, you’ll find everything from skiing to mountain biking and skydiving to white-water rafting nearby. Without further ado, lets explore what makes Queenstown so special!
Where is Queenstown?
Queenstown is located in the southwestern part of New Zealand’s South Island. On the shores of Lake Wakatipu, the town (numbering around 15,000 residents) is picturesque – with plentiful views over the inlet and surrounding mountains. But while the views are serene, the town is anything but.
What Is There to Do in Queenstown?
For most destinations, we’d simply say there’s too much to experience. But these are thrill-seekers we’re talking about…so that means there’s no such thing! Here’s just a taste of all the activities available in and around Queenstown:
- Hit the Slopes – The ‘Southern’ Alps as they’re know are home to a great many mountains – four of which are full fledged ski resorts located near Queenstown!
- Heights Don’t Scare Me – Assuming you’re not squeamish when it comes to high places, Queenstown is a treasure trove. Bungie jumping, skydiving, canyon swinging (it’s what it sounds like) – all this and more will put a bit of space between your feet and the ground.
- Choppy Waters – White water rafting is just one of the ways to pump up your adrenaline closer to ground level. River surfing and jet boating are also available. If you need a break however, you can always go on a scenic cruise and take in the surrounding landscape.
- Hiking – While not as ‘extreme’ as some other options, sometimes heading up into the wilds at your own pace is the best way to get the lay of the land. There are many trails around the town, some of which offer dazzling views over the entire bay.
- Unwind in Town – With so many active tourists (both young and old) going on pilgrimage to Queenstown, you’ll likely find the town itself is buzzing come nightfall! There will surely be no shortage of bars and events to enjoy.
- And Much More! – We barely even scratched the surface of everything Queenstown offers. Off-roading, paragliding, zip-lining, helicopter tours, a visit to the real life ‘Middle-earth’…we could go on and on (and that’s not even including more relaxed pursuits like golf or nearby vineyard tours)! For much more on everything the ‘Adventure Capital of the World’ has to offer, check out the official tourist website HERE.
Your Journey is Just Beginning
Once you’ve got your fill of Queenstown – if that’s even possible – you simply must explore the rest of South Island (or ideally the entirety of New Zealand). To get started, here’s our Travel Guide!
Stay informed. Stay Current.